Local Retailer Event Activation
This year, Member programs are encouraged to reach out directly to Subaru retailers in their area to plan local events for the 2014 “Share the Love” event. It is important to note that retailers are under no obligation to participate in a “local activation.” As there are multiple charities participating in this year’s “Share the Love” event and the holiday season is an extremely busy time for retailers, Subaru asks that the amount of outreach to its retailers be kept to a reasonable minimum.
To get you started, Subaru has created a helpful Reach Out Guide to assist you with your 2014 “Share the Love” Local Event Activation.
All retailers will have access to a Local Event Activation planning document that provides a menu of the most successful activation events from each national charity, including the Meals On Wheels Association of America.
FIND A RETAILER NEAR YOU!
If your local retailer agrees to plan a promotional or fundraising “Share the Love” local activation, you can use the list of ideas below to get your wheels turning! If they are unable to participate, or you do not have a retailer in your area, check out alternative ways to promote the event!
Here are some ideas:
- Enlist retailer staff to deliver meals and holiday poinsettias in a wrapped or decorated vehicle.
- Enlist retailer staff to cover one of your many Meals on Wheels delivery routes throughout the “Share the Love” event and beyond.
- Ask the Subaru retailer to help serve holiday meals at your Member program’s congregate site or donate gifts for each attendee.
- Work with the retailer to promote the “Share the Love” event in local holiday parades. Fill a wrapped Subaru vehicle with Member program staff or volunteers and participate in an existing parade or initiate your own parade of Meals on Wheels-wrapped Subaru vehicles down your Main Street. Notify press of your activities so that they can follow.
"Share the Love" Promotion
- Work with your retailer to organize a Food Drive to support your efforts.
- “Stuff the Trunk” - Ask your community to fill Subaru vehicles with non-perishable food items at retailers and arrange a ceremonial delivery to your location so that press can follow and report.
- Set up food collection boxes at the retail location.
- Encourage your retailer to host a Food Truck War in their parking lot. Invite local food trucks to participate and to donate a percentage of their sales back to your program.
- Ask the retailer to donate a set amount to your program for every test drive during a specified amount of time.
- Encourage joint commercials, public service announcements or other advertisements throughout the event.
- Display your program’s signage or set up an informational table at the retailer to attract volunteers and support.
- Encourage your retailer to get involved on social media. Check out our Social Media Tips to learn more.
Is your Social Media confidence low? Do you want to bounce an idea off of us? Call or email Lauren Fielder, our Member Communications Manager, at email@example.com or 571-339-1621.