Senior Hunger Facts:
Source: Gunderson, Craig and Ziliak, James. "Senior Hunger in America: An Annual Report." National Foundation to End Senior Hunger, May, 2012.
The full report is available at http://www.nfesh.org/#/what-we-know/4570514007
- 1 in 7 Seniors is threatened by hunger.
- 8.3 million Seniors faced the threat of hunger in 2010.
- This reflects a 78% increase since 2001 - and a 34% increase since the start of the recession in 2007.
- The threat of hunger for seniors increased in 44 states since 2007.
Highest Rates of Senior Hunger
The ten states with the highest rates of hunger risk among seniors:
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
Meals On Wheels
According to the National Survey of Older Americans Act Program Participants conducted for the U.S. Administration on Aging:
- 85% of clients say Meals On Wheels helps them eat healthier
- 87% say Meals On Wheels helps improve their health
- 91% say Meals On Wheels helps them feel more secure
- 93% say Meals On Wheels means they can continue to live in their own home
- 91% rate Meals On Wheels service as good to excellent